Thursday, August 30, 2007

Maternity Leave Coming to An End Soon




In three weeks' time, I'll be returning back to my work. I am already feeling a slight dread in my heart. Initially, I had felt that the life of a full-time mother is pretty monotaneous and predictable, always going through the same feeding, bathing baby, changing diaper, tucking baby to sleep routine. I'd probably feel more productive from accomplishing my work and obtain higher satisfaction from solving work challenges (Not that I'm an overly ambitious or high achiever type.) It's just that caring for the baby involves mainly manual tasks which do not require much brain work. Hence, I could imagine that my brain would have deteriorated as a result of being underutilised!

Now that my maternity leave is coming to an end, I suddenly wish that I could turn back time and re-live the past eight weeks and perhaps improve my baby care techniques further. How I wish I can have more time to bond with my baby and watch her little body grow and developing all her body movements and facial expressions. I've really come to enjoy breastfeeding, holding her little body close to mine and seeing how satisfied she is sucking for the milk. Now I can truly comprehend the wonders of breastfeeding, aside from the health benefits it brings to the baby, it is, without doubt, the most wonderful moments a mother can have with her child. Returning to work would mean giving up on breastfeeding as my work place does not have the facilities nor environment that support breastfeeding mothers, especially where expressing milk is concerned.

No comments: