Sunday, July 15, 2007

First Week with Baby Adele

The first week of our parenthood was like a war at home - three adults battling with a little baby! Trying to understand her cries and responding to her needs was already hard to master. On top of it, I was also struggling with my breastfeeding technique and it really added to my frustration. During the first week, I couldn't nurse the baby properly due to sore nipples and engorgement. I was so depressed that I wanted to give up breastfeeding altogether. I thought why do I have to waste so much time feeding the baby and expressing out the milk. I could have used the time to accomplish other things instead. For a while, I felt I had lost control of my life - instead it is now dictated by the needs of the little one.

Thank God for my husband who was with me during that whole week, comforting me and encouraging me. In fact, I thought he would have made a better mother than me during that first week. We tried to establish a feeding routine for the baby so that we can manage our time more efficiently and not to get "lost" in midst her demands. Very soon, things took a turn for the better with my soreness healed and I was able to resume my breastfeeding again.

No comments: